Monday, February 11, 2013

On Eagle's Wings



Dearest Familia,

As always, thank you for your prayers. I know I always say that, but it is only because each week I have some experience that makes me grateful to know that so many of you are praying for me. I hope you feel of my prayers in return.

I know my pictures are lame, but I didn't take any this week so I decided to show you my apartment. The pictures next week will be good.

We listened to a talk this week entitled "On Eagle's Wings" by Elder Holland. It was a BYU Devotional address and it really impacted my. He is such a good speaker. We are also going to NASA today as our District Activity! Never thought I would go to NASA but I am so excited! I will tell you all about it next week and I will make sure to take pictures.

Elder Hillier and I are planning what we call a "How to Share the Gospel Fireside". The other night while I was praying, the thought came to my mind that the ward members really do want to have missionary experiences and are doing their best but just sometimes don't know how to begin or what the next step is to help share the gospel with their friends, family, and coworkers. I shared my thoughts with Elder Hillier and he told me that a few days before all the same ideas came to him while he was praying. We shared our plan with our ward missionaries and the Bishops and should be doing that sometime mid March. We are really excited for it.

We are teaching a 9 year-old boy with Autism right now. His parents are both members but he just wasn't baptized at 8. It is fun because the only that he will pay attention or understand is if we teach with object lessons. We have enjoyed thinking of creating ways to teach him. We covered the Plan of Salvation on Saturday by drawing with crayons and markers on pizza boxes. He loved it and now will be able to put it up in his room.

I have learned two eternal truths through teaching him. 1) The Gospel really can be understood by little children. Like Grandpa Updike always said, "The Gospel is beautifully simple and simply beautiful". 2) The Holy Ghost can teach little children profound doctrine. I remember teaching with the missionaries back home. We were teaching a 9 year-old (I can't remember his name anymore) and in the middle of the lesson (also the Plan of Salvation) he asked if it all meant that we could become like God. When we asked who told him that, he responded that no one did but that it just made sense. As we taught Tommy on Saturday, he taught us about the spirit world before we taught him. He said that it only makes sense. It made me think of Alma 32:23:

 23 And now, he imparteth his word by angels unto men, yea, anot only men but women also. Now this is not all; little bchildren do have words given unto them many times, which cconfound the wise and the learned.

I am grateful for the Gospel and the simplicity which it brings to my life. Brother Fattelah (spelling) always says that, "The Gospel gives us the clarity of reality". It is true. This work is true. I love being a missionary. I don't think I will ever be able to come home. I have a secret wish that another call letter will come from Salt Lake asking me to serve here for the rest of my life.

Love,

Elder Case

No comments:

Post a Comment