Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The Keystone of Our Religion

Hola otra vez familia!

I hope you all are doing well and know that I am praying for you and am grateful for your prayers and support. Sounds like everyone has been busy. Mary and Craig in Florida, and baby blessings in Utah. What great blessings. I wish so much that those who I come in contact with could understand just how greatly our family has been blessed by the Gospel. I was teaching a less active family the other day and trying to get them to understand the importance of nightly prayer and scriptures as a family. I could tell that they weren't completely understanding so I finally just explained that all of my older brothers served missions and that all of my older siblings are sealed in the temple. They began to understand. We have been so blessed. It reminds me of Alma 37:6-7 
 Now ye may suppose that this is afoolishness in me; but behold I say unto you, that by bsmall and simple things are great things brought to pass; and small means in many instances doth confound the wise.
And the Lord God doth work by ameans to bring about his great and eternal purposes; and by very bsmall means the Lord doth cconfound the wise and bringeth about the salvation of many souls.

Prayer and scriptures seems almost too simple and thus it is easy to justify. But we learn here that it is one of the means by which God works to bring about his great and eternal purposes.

Anyways, I am loving it here! It was Elder Barajas' birthday on Thursday and we spent the whole day riding from place to place. By far the hottest day yet, and no one would open the door. But at dinner we had an appointment with a ward member but the husband didn't show up so we couldn't go in. We ended up eating outside in the driveway at this little table. It was a 4 course meal complete with appetizer and dessert. We loved it because they had to keep bringing the food out to us and we felt like we were at a restaurant. Good times.

Later that night we had a church tour and I was able to play the piano in the chapel. I have been using the piano more than I thought. It has been really enjoyable. Please let Mrs. Baber know that all her frustration with me wasn't entirely in vain.

On Tuesday night we had a really neat experience. We visited Martha (she was just baptized last week) to see how she was doing. She immediately began to unload on us and the ward mission leader. She has some really hard things in her life and it just about breaks my heart every time I am there. She has incredible burdens to carry. We listened and listened and finally she calmed down a little and we asked if she had been reading and praying. She said she had and that it was the only thing that kept her going. Then Elder Barajas and I both reached for our scriptures and turned to the same chapter. We opened to Mosiah 24 and asked if we could read with her. As we read one verse at a time, we would explain the situation and apply it to her, but after a fewe verses, she just took over all the reading and the Spirit started teaching. Tears came to her eyes. She looked at us and understood. Just like those people, she had made covenants with the Lord and she knew through the power of the Holy Ghost that the Lord would make her burdens seem light just as He had done for them.

It was incredible. I cannot fully describe the feelingst that were present in the room. It made me understand a little bit more why the Book of Mormon is the keystone. I know that it truly does contain all of the answers because it brings the Holy Ghost into our lives. I just finished studying the book of Alma today, I have learned an loved every verse. The Book of Mormon is true. I am so grateful for the chance I have to testify of that book and thus testify of the Savior. I know that this work is true and the Jesus Christ does stand at the head and direct this work.

I love you all and am grateful for your examples and prayers.

Love,

Elder Case

No comments:

Post a Comment